Having lived a serene religious life as a Catholic nun, and having survived the chaos of life as an elected public official in Reno, Nevada, Rene Reid has learned first-hand what it takes to bring peaceful solutions to conflicting situations. Now her unique perspective on both human and political relations is featured in her breakthrough work of reality fiction, Peace Amidst Conflict.
Throughout the 1990s, Rene Reid (Yarnell) enjoyed success as an international speaker, writer, and consultant for the network marketing industry. Having built, with her former husband, a successful organization of more than 200,000 marketing representatives worldwide crossing 28 countries, she has been heavily involved in shaping the Network Marketing industry for well over a decade.
A former Catholic nun with an M.A. in Theology, Reid has dedicated much of her life to the field of education, beginning in the classroom in the 1960s. From there, she expanded her scope to host both talk radio programs and television shows, and she was among the first female talk show radio hosts in the nation.
Honored by the Network Marketing Hall of Fame, Reid is considered one of the country's most successful and sought-after authorities on network marketing and personal development. Her prolific writing career, which includes the international best-seller Your First Year in Network Marketing, has become the focal point of her passion for helping people create the life of their dreams. Translated to more than 12 languages, the book's sales have neared one million copies. She has also written The New Entrepreneurs: Making a Living–Making a Life in Network Marketing and recorded a companion audio program in both audiocasette and streaming audio.
Reid's impact on the world of network marketing has garnered her a litany of awards and distinctions, including being named "Greatest Networker in the World" by Upline Magazine. Her passion for helping people outside of the business world is equally inspiring; along with vice-president Al Gore and former Soviet prime minister Mikael Gorbachev, Reid is a founding co-contributer of the International Green Cross, an organization that focuses on worldwide environmental preservation issues.
In her hometown of Reno, Nevada, Reid founded and serves on the local board of Restart, a program committed to assisting the homeless in Northern Nevada. Her commitment to the community crossed over into politics when, in 1988, she was elected Washoe County Commissioner. Reid has one son, Chris Grove, who also lives in Reno and is employed by the University of Nevada.
Since the turn of the millennium, Reid has dedicated her time to writing. Moving past the subject of network marketing in 2001, she published ’Til Death Do Us Part…, an autobiographical work depicting the rise and fall of her marriage to Mark Yarnell. The book downplays the need to assign blame and suggests that a marriage need not be classified as a failure just because it ends. In her own marriage, Reid found that much good came from the relationship. Through her personal account, she offers suggestions to others facing the end of a marriage, especially during midlife and beyond.
- Raised in Dallas, Texas. Currently resides in Reno, Nevada.
- 1962 Joined the Order of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul to become a Catholic nun immediately after graduating high school. Left the order to earn bachelor's and master's degrees in theology from 1966-1969.
- 1969-1975 Worked in San Francisco Bay area in Catholic parishes as a religious education director, followed by a year of teaching 2nd and 3rd year theologians at St. Patrick's Seminary.
- 1975-1980 and 1981-1983 Produced and hosted local TV and radio call-in shows in San Francisco, CA, Denver, CO and Reno, NV.
- 1974-1986 Marriage to former priest and poet, James Kavanaugh.
- 1980-1981 Hired as a consultant by Lear Fan in Nevada to moderate communications between management and front-line workers where Reid began a lifelong friendship with Moya Lear, wife of William Lear, inventor of the Lear Jet.
- 1985-1986 Worked for the Nevada School of Law at Old College in Reno.
- 1988 Ran for political office and won a Washoe County Commission seat. Served on the Board of County Commissioners until 1993.
- 1988 Start-up of her network marketing business as a Nu Skin distributor, where she eventually met future husband Mark Yarnell.
- 1990 Established Project Restart, a program committed to assisting the homeless in Northern Nevada.
- 1991-1998 Reid and Yarnell merged marriage and business, building a Nu Skin downline and serving as advocates for the industry.
- 1994 Established the University Certificate Seminar for network marketing with Dr. Charles King.
- 1997-1998 Wrote and published (with Mark Yarnell) Your First Year in Network Marketing.
- 1999 Authored and published The New Entrepreneurs: Making a Living–Making a Life Through Network Marketing.
- 2000 Authored and published ’Til Death Do Us Part, an autobiographical work depicting the rise and fall of her marriage to Mark Yarnell.
- 2001 Authored and published Your First Steps in Network Marketing.
- 2002-2003 Caregiver for her mother, stepfather, and a close friend as they suffered terminal illnesses.
- 2004-2008 Authored and published Peace Amidst Conflict.